The pressure washer can be considered our great ally against the most stubborn dirt from our cars and motorcycles and for the deep cleaning of building facades, floors, and garden furniture. The pressure washers using simply water offer the user a deep and swift cleaning even in cases as complex as in the clay mud that accumulates on our dirt bike or on the underside of our vehicles. In other cases within the domestic sphere, pressure washers play a vital role in eliminating stains on walls and furniture caused by humidity, such as “verdin” or cleaning the walls in swimming pools, ponds and kennels.
We have a wide range of pressure washers that reach up to 200 bar with a flow rate of up to 600 litres per minute for more professional uses. These high-performance pressure washers are used to clean vehicles in mechanical workshops, livestock facilities, cleaning civil and agricultural machinery, cleaning public areas, removing posters, and many other uses.
Tips when choosing a pressure washer:
- Always buy a well-known brand that guarantees you spare parts, Karcher, Makita, Lavor, Nilfisk.
- Pressure is important, but too much pressure without flow is useless. Look for a pressure washer with a high water flow rate.
- If you will use your pressure washer to clean vehicles, make sure it incorporates a liquid detergent tank.
- For applications in large areas and pressure demands, a gasoline pressure washer is recommended.
What are the different types?
- Electric: for general domestic use and in environments where electricity is accessible.
- Thermal: whose use is rather professional and mobile.
Pressure washers can save water. For example, for a pressure washer of 400 L / hour, the consumption is almost nine times less than a garden hose.
You need to ensure the ease of use and manoeuvrability of your pressure washer. Its weight can be significant (on average 10 kg) if you use it frequently and have large surfaces to clean. So make sure that it is easy to handle and easy to transport, thanks to wheels and a handle, generally.
What are the selection criteria?
The combination of flow, pressure and power
This combination is essential to the efficiency of your pressure washer. The higher the flow rate of your device, the faster the surface cleaning will be. It is expressed in litres per hour.
Pressure, on the other hand, increases the efficiency of the sprayed water. Its unit of reference is the bar. The higher the pressure, the greater the efficiency. Very high pressure cleans surfaces encrusted with traces such as paint, glue, etc.
Power guarantees the efficiency of your device. Be aware that the higher the power, the more electricity you consume. So be precise in your needs to make the right choice of device.
It is also essential to check the resistance of the surfaces you want to clean because some surfaces do not withstand high pressures, especially wood. Specific options on pressure cleaners allow you to adjust the pressure according to the desired use.
There are different types of motor to be preferred according to your use:
- Universal electric motors: they are suitable for occasional or regular use.
- Induction motors are suitable for intensive or professional use. This increases the life of the pressure washer and ensures optimum power.
The pressure washers can be equipped with two types of dirtblasters:
- Flat jet lances, with the possibility of a “pencil jet” to more easily unclog due to the power of the jet.
- A variable jet nozzle: you can adjust the power of the jet according to the surface to be treated.
- A rotating jet nozzle, also called Rotabuse, more elaborate and whose powerful jet that allows the maintenance of hard and very dirty surfaces, even irregular ones.
The choice of materials
For the pump body, you can opt for a composite material sufficient for occasional use. If you plan to use your pressure washer frequently, it is better to opt for aluminium, which is lighter and more practical in use and resistant to oxidation. Finally, brass is an interesting option for intensive use because of its high resistance to oxidation and detergents.
For the piston, you can choose steel which is suitable for occasional use, stainless steel, which is more resistant to oxidation and allows you to use it more frequently. If you plan to use your pressure washer intensively, prefer a ceramic flame piston, much more resistant.
The power supply cable
Be careful, the power supply cable must be long enough to avoid the use of extension cords. Remember to handle this element with care, to prevent accidents due to water-electricity contact.
The minimum required is 4 meters. This allows easy handling and reduces the number of trips of the pressure washer.
Opt instead for reinforced pipes (and not simple): they bend less easily but are more resistant in the long term.
Accessories and additional features
This is a valuable option but not necessary. Not all pressure cleaners are equipped with this. This involves adjusting the type of jet: pencil jet, flat jet, low-pressure jet, depending on the surface to be cleaned and the kind of dirt.
The initial equipment of a pressure washer includes:
- A pressure hose of variable length
- A lance
- A gun
- One or more nozzles and brushes.
Not all pressure washers have the same equipment. Accessories also add to the price, so check your needs first to not over-equip yourself but to ensure sufficient versatility for your use. Accessories can be purchased separately but are expensive; it is, therefore, preferable to equip yourself from the start with all the accessories you will need.
The possible accessories are:
- Rotating brushes to increase cleaning efficiency and specific brushes for bodywork maintenance to prevent scratches and marks.
- The nozzles, practical for adapting the jet of your pressure cleaner to the desired task.
- Lances, which allow access to difficult places.
- The sandblasting kit, essential for stripping metal and steel, facades and roofing, painted walls.
- Hose extensions.
- The pipe unblocker, which dissolves blockages in your pipes.
- Auto-power, which extends the duration of use of your device. It nevertheless requires a larger water reserve to be able to draw the projected water regularly.
- The T-racer, a rotary system equipped with two nozzles that allows it to be adapted to all types of surfaces.
- The suction kit, ideal for drawing water from a tank or a water collector.
- The reservoir dedicated to cleaning liquid or detergent.